Thursday, October 31, 2013

Interview With Maggie Nichols

Maggie Nichols, a first year senior elite, placed 5th at her first Senior National Championships this year in Hartford, Connecticut.  After making her second National Team (she was added to the 2012-2013 National Team this spring), she was invited to the World's Team Selection Camp.  I got the opportunity to interview Maggie once she got home from the Selection Camp about her breakout into the gymnastics world, what it was like traveling and competing with an Olympic Champion and her future plans!
Property of coolspotters.com

1. You first broke out into the gymnastics world at the 2011 Nastia Liukin Supergirl Cup.  What did you learn about competing at such a large scale competition on a podium, that was broadcasted on national television?
It was an amazing experience competing at such a large competition.  Also, competing on a podium was very fun because it was my first time!

2. Your first elite competition was the 2009 Covergirl Classic as a pre elite.  Did you get any advice before the competition and what did you think of your first elite competition?
My first elite competition was the 2009 Classics I competed as a pre elite and it was an amazing experience competing at the same competition as Olympians.
3. Did you watch the older girl's competing?  Did you see anything that you tried to put in your training and routines?
Yes, I always wanted to watch the older girls and learn from them.  I've always looked up to them.

4. You were added to the national team for the European Tour.  What  was it like competing with an Olympic Champion?  Did she give you any advice on competing internationally?  
It was a great experience competing internationally and with Kyla.  She told us to be confident and to have fun with the experience.

5. You improved to fifth this year at your first senior nationals?  What did you do differently this year as opposed to last year?
I don't think I did anything differently, I just kept working hard in the gym and trusted my coaches like I've always done, and they've had a great plan for me that worked!

courant.com
6. When were you first invited to camp and what was that like?
My first camp was intimidating because I didn't exactly know what to expect.  It was a lot of fun, but a lot of work.

7. Can you describe a little bit about what camps are like?
We do strength testing and we verify on every event so they can see where we are!

8. Was the World's Selection Camp different than other National Team camps?
Yes because we didn't have as many practices and our practices were shorter and we also didn't have dance classes.

9. What was the announcement like?  I know as a fan, the wait was excruciating!  What was it like for you as the gymnast?
The wait wasn't very long but we kinda already knew who made the team.

10. Did Marta say anything to you after the announcement of the team?
She told me to just keep working hard in the gym.

11. Congratulations on your commitment to the University of Oklahoma!  Did you look anywhere else and what made you chose Oklahoma? 
I did look other places but Oklahoma was the fit for me.  I loved everything about it and the coaches were perfect for me!!!

12.  What are your plans and goals for the rest of the year?
More international assignments and to improve all around! :)

Thank you so much Maggie, good luck for the rest of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment