Saturday, December 15, 2012

Skills I DON'T Want To See

There has been a lot of talk over the gymternet over skills everyone is excited to see this quad.  So I thought I'd change it up a bit, by explaining skills I don't want to see this quad, or ever.

Triple Twisting Yurchenko
Even 4 years after the Amanar became normal, it terrifies me.  Something about seeing a gymnast twisting into the ground doing a vault they clearly aren't ready for doesn't exactly appeal to me.  So seeing said gymnast sacrifice form and their knees is not something I would enjoy.  However, if a gymnast *cough Maroney cough* has an Amanar so amazing, or possible perfect, then I wouldn't mind seeing a triple from her.  But, I have the same philosophy with triples that I do with Amanars, if it looks like it belongs in a horror movie, you should probably downgrade.

Double pirouettes
So this may be pushing it a little bit, but we are definitely seeing more and more 1 and 1/2  piroettes.  I don't know how long it will be until we see a double.  So many gymnasts have problems finishing a full on top of the bar, let alone a 1 and 1/2.  I just see the double being a mess, finishing way passed the handstand.  I'm just not ready for chucked pirouettes for the sake of D scores, like we see on the other events.

Double Layout Beam Dismounts
These days, beam routines that don't end with the very common double pike dismount stand out.  What annoys me to no end are the double pikes that look like they were squashed by a truck (awful and terrible comparison, I know), and if those look so bad, imagine what a double layout would look like (shudders).  The truth is that many gymnasts barely get their double pikes around, so what makes people expect that they can get the double layout around with out falling on their face, or making it  look awful?  Of course, like with the Triple Twisting Yurchenko, there is an exception.  Bridget  Sloan had a gorgeous double pike, and maybe she could've been one to pull of the double layout.  But otherwise, I don't think my eyes are ready.

Triple Memmel Turn
I like the Memmel turn a lot, when Chellsie did it.  Now we are seeing many gymnasts chuck it (what else is new?) and makeing it look awful.  We see a full turn and a little bit with the leg by their ear, and then falling.  I can't even imagine what another full turn would look like, or if it would even get credit.  I just can't see it, not that I want to, any time soon.

There you have if, the skills I don't want to see this quad, we will just have to wait and see.  Let me know in the comments what skills you don't to see this quad!

1 comment:

  1. There has been a double turn, Tatiana Zharganova did it. It did finish out of vertical, but was still awesome. It's only worth a D, so with the obvious finishing past vertical, it's not worth doing. There are some turns worth E.

    ReplyDelete