Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Interview with Elizabeth Price

Elizabeth Price from Parkettes found herself an Alternate to the United States Olympic Team in 2012 in her first her as a senior.  After a dominating post-Olympic World Cup meets, Price with-drew from the American Cup due to a hip injury which she rested for eight months before competing two events at the P&G U.S. National Championships and being named as an alternate to the US World team and winning the Stuttgart World Cup while taking the Silver at the Glasgow World Cup.
Gymnastike

1.  When did you realize that you had the potential to compete as an elite gymnast?
I'd have to say I realized that I could be an elite in 2010 when I made my first National Team.  Before that I never really knew how good I was compared to other elite girls, so I wasn't totally confident that I'd be able to be a good competitor at the elite level.
2. Your gym has produced several National Champions and Olympians.  Is there a lot of pressure on you and other Parkettes Gymnast to carry on the tradition of excellence?
The only pressure I think the girls feel to achieve excellence is the pressure they put on themselves.  I think they look at Parkettes more as a place where they can become excellent if they want to, but noone is going to make them do something they don't want to do.
3. What expectations did you have for yourself going into 2012?
Going into 2012, the only expectations I had were to make the National Team again and to hit all of my routines.
Zimbio

4. What was your experience at 2012 Olympic Trials like?
To me, Trials felt a lot like a second Championships, only that meet was selecting the Olympic Team, not the National Team.  There was a little more pressure, but otherwise, it wasn't much different.  
5. You made it to London as an Alternate.  Was it like having the Olympic Experience as an alternate?
It was a great experience being an alternate for London.  I wish I would've had the chance to compete, but being able to go to the Olympics, as a part of Team USA definitely made the whole thing worth it.
6. You won the Stuttgart and Glasgow World Cups at the end of 2012.  How did that help you going into 2013?
Winning both World Cup meets in 2012 definitely let me know what to expect this year in terms of what the meets would be like.  Not only did it give me more confidence for competing internationally, it also helped me in knowing how I'd have to adjust to the different equipment and time zones without much trouble.
7. Can you talk about your injury that has effected you for the majority of 2013?
My hip injuries were a major setback in 2013.  I lost about 6 months worth of training, so I wasn't as ready as I would've liked to be at the meets over the summer.
Lehigh Valley Live

8. What advice can you give to young gymnasts struggling with injuries?
For young gymnasts struggling with injuries, I'd tell them not to just give up.  I've had several major injuries and not once did I ever think that I'd have to go back to a lower level and certainly never have to stop gymnastics all together.
9. You made an impressive comeback at the 2013 National Championships on 2 events.  How did you decide which events to do?
 I decided to do bars and vault at P&Gs because those two events were in pretty good shape to compete, whereas I still hadn't had much training with some of my floor and beam skills.
10. How long were you training your Amanar before you competed it at the 2013 Glasgow World Cup?
 I was probably training my 2 1/2 vault for three months before I competed it in Glasgow.
11. Can you share some upgrades for 2014?
 Even though nothing is certain, I've been training a full-twisting double layout on floor, a half-on entry vault in preparation for a second vault, and an uprise stalder-full out of my Maloney on bars instead of the free-hip I've been competing.
Lehigh Valley Live

12. At the 2013 National Championships you were joined with young talents Christina Desiderio and Molly Frack.  What's it like to train with other elites?
 It's great training with other elites. We all know what each other are going through and we have a lot of the same goals, which makes it easy to stay motivated. It's also nice training with the younger elites because I've already been through what they're going through, so I can help them get through tough times and let them know what to expect. That way they're ready for everything that gets thrown their way.
13. You recently signed your NLI to Stanford.  How did you decide where to go and will you be deferring?
 Stanford was one of my top choices for college ever since I started looking at schools, and I knew gymnasts that went there who told me great things about the school, so I knew a lot about Stanford even before I went to visit. I decided to go there because I felt that Stanford is a great academic institution with a great gymnastics team. I haven't decided yet whether or not I'm going to defer until 2015, but I still have time to think about it and make that decision later.
14. What are your goals for 2014?   
 My goals for 2014 are to compete in more international meets, including another World Cup meet, so I can have a chance to bring home more medals for team USA.
Lehigh Valley Live


No comments:

Post a Comment